I’m writing this down to catch the attention of some folks who are into this warp/warpdrive or those who put this thing on github.
I’ve been trying to use compile and use it. With some tweaks, I could compile it. But, the source tree and files uploaded at git master branch at https://github.com/facebook/warp is somewhat outdated, and it is missing a whole lot of information.
Although I appreciate the contribution to open source from facebook folks, it seems to me that it is not done in proper way.
- There are plenty of hard-coded paths in Makefiles(ok, I can fix them),
- Missing scripts – builtin_defines.sh is missing(its tricky to take a guess, and even if I could arrive at something, I’m not sure if it is optimum)
- Basic documentation going missing, example, the documentation says,
This will produce
warp(the core program) and also the drivers
warpdrive_clangdev, each packaged for the respective compiler and version.
- but, none of the Makefiles build these drivers, which makes the whole understanding unclear.
- It is a pretty incomplete project uploaded at github and it asks for a lot of time being invested to get this tool working, which perhaps could have been easily avoided, making the contribution much more worthwhile at the open source standards, if someone from FB checked it more carefully and uploaded it to github.
I tried contacting nearly all of those who are contributors on github to this project to kind of help me by uploading that missing piece of information, and I haven’t got any reply from anyone yet. So, I’m writing this blog post hoping to grab their attention or someone who knows warp/warpdrive better already so that the missing information could be corrected and the project is more useful.